Sunday, March 22, 2020

Technical Guru: It took 1Hour for this Ibo Man to upgrade the dashboard of this Lexus SUV in Lagos.

By Victor Isiguzo

By Jude Okaro (a.k.a Market Intelligence)

It could amaze you to see how ingenious some IBO men could be especially a number of them who have never been to technical college or even the University before.

Right before my probing eyes, an unassuming business man who is into the sales and importation of fairly used cars decoupled the the dashboard of a 2013 GX 470 Lexus SUV under 10 minutes.

My inquisitive nature took a better part of me as I strolled into a hotel located at the Ojo axis of Lagos state.The SUV was parked along the aisle leading to the bar where I usually go to watch soccer during the weekends.

Photo Speak: The dismantled dashboard.

So I inched closer to see why a beautiful and good looking car was meted such a treatment, or was it that the A.C was being repaired? Anyways, I was greeted by a man who kept his gauze locked on a disfigured dashboard as he unscrewed nuts and interchangeably tested plugs and wires.

I was lucky to have my questions entertained even as unwittingly as they came.

I asked why he was actually disfiguring the vehicle, and he told me that he was actually upgrading the vehicle for his client. And that it also helps the cars look more attractive for prospecting buyers.

Photo Speak: The previous Digital Screen.

Perhaps, I was a novice but he sure was not doing nothing illegal as he only was about his business prospering.

I then asked if he learnt this technical aspect of the job, and he said he dropped out from secondary in class 4 to pursue business and whatever he is doing now he learnt it on the street and not from a master or school.

Photo Speak: The new screen is being mounted.

I was not surprised, as Innoson too shares in such a story and today he manufactures cars.

He then went on to remove the old audio screen and system and replaced with the one he called Android screen that looks very much like the latest Lexus SUVs that have got sensors for reverse parking, tight parking and impact management as he called it.

Photo Speak: Work is ongoing.

In all, this discussions and the changing of the dashboard and of course making the SUV look great again did not take up to 1 hour.

Photo Speak: Interior aesthetics is being restored.

I was marvelled to say the least and all I could see was if Government supported our craftsmen and business men more, that could become the beginning of the African Industrial Revolution.

P.s:- Please support my brand by clicking the "follow button". Thank you.